What is the difference between a subclass 189 and subclass 190 visa?

This is a very common question in the World of Visas & migration!

Just what is the difference between a subclass 189 and subclass 190 visa?

The reality is – very little.

They are in the same General Skilled Migration stream, the application cost is the same or very nearly the same, and the processes and application types are very similar.

The differences in the 189 vs 190 application process are:

Subclass 189 Independent skilled visa:

Stage 1 – skill assessment

Stage 2 – EoI Expression of Interest and DIAC visa application

Subclass 190 State-sponsored skilled visa:

Stage 1 – skill assessment

Stage 2 – State application

Stage 3 – EoI Expression of Interest and DIAC visa application


So as you can see, the middle state-sponsorship phase is the real difference.

What does state-sponsorship mean? What is a state-sponsored visa application?

This is NOT sponsorship in the same style as an Employer Sponsored visa.

The state does not offer a job and does not offer hardly anything once you get to Australia on your Permanent Resident visa.

It just means that any state in Australia needs to state that ‘yes, we need this person’s skills in our state’ and approve their state application.

With a state sponsorship application approved, it means that the applicant can then go on and apply for the EoI and DIAC visa application.

The other important aspect of the difference between a 189 and a 190 Australian visa is the skilled list.

The SOL usually refers to the skilled list with occupations that can apply for a 189 PR visa.

The CSOL usually refers to the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List, which means that you can apply for a subclass 190 state sponsored PR visa if your occupation is on that list. It can also refer to eligibility for a subclass 489 visa.

A subclass 489 visa is a provisional Permanent Resident visa which allows the applicant and then visa-holder to live in a regional area of Australia.

The 489 visa is valid for 3 years. In that time, the applicant needs to (1) live in an area of regional Australia for two years, and (2) work in such an area for at least 12 months.

The 489 visa holder is not allowed to live or work in a non-regional (city) area of Australia.

For more general guidance and reading, see the categories tab on the right or the tag cloud on the homepage.

For your own assessment done by a real person, relevant to your situation, simply go to the ‘Get Assessed’ page, either at the top or bottom of the site!




  1. i have a WA-state sponsored Skilled Nominated (Permanent) (class SN) Skilled ā€“ Nominated (subclass 190) visa. but now i plan to settle in Sydney or Brisbane. kindly advise the following:
    1. Can i land in any other state other than the sponsoring state (Western Australia)
    2. Legally can i apply for job in any other state other than WA.
    3. What if i land in WA and then plan to move out to any other state for job without completing 2 year term.

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: