Can you live in other states on a subclass 190 visa?

Living in other states on a subclass 190 visa

Can you live in other states on a state-sponsored visa? What is state-sponsorship?

This is one of the biggest issues in skilled migration, because many people mis-understand the reality of the regulations and visa conditions.

The fact is this: The subclass 190 state-sponsored visa is a ‘full Permanent Resident’ visa.

This means that you are given the status of ‘Australian Permanent Residence’.

The visa does not have conditions applied to it that are at all relevant to being state-sponsored. The visa label does not say what state sponsored (just like a PR visa label does not say the occupation used when applying).

The application is the APPLICATION.

Once Permanent Resident status is granted, then you cannot be restricted to live or work in only one state. That would be against the idea of ‘Permanent Residence’ and having full rights in Australia.

Some visas have residential-location specific conditions. The subclass 489 provisional Pr, regional sponsored visa does have the condition that you must live and work in a regional area. What are regional areas of Australia? They are defined by Postcode and generally mean 1 hour drive outside the main cities, but Adelaide is included as a regional area.

But – the subclass 190 state-sponsorship visa does not have any such conditions.

Of course the sponsoring state would like you to live in the state.

But if you ask them directly about this issue – that’s right, ask the state directly about the issue, why not?! – then they will also inform you that it is not a legal condition, legal restriction or otherwise a Federal nor national law related to the entire issue.

The state is also not relevant when applying for citizenship.

The initial issues are one side — but the reality is that you need to apply for the visa to even obtain Permanent Residence

So go to the GET ASSESSED at the top or bottom of these pages and start your personal Australian visa assessment with an expert, now.

You will register into your own Client Area.

From there, you can use the ‘online communication’ area to talk 1-to-1 with your assigned consultant, who will send you your own migration assessment report and explain all the details of your case.


Australia spouse visa interview

We have already explained the different Australia spouse / partner visa options, shown in the links below.

But how about the Australia spouse visa interview?

If you lodged your Australia partner visa in person, then you may have been interviewed at the time of lodging. but what if you lodged your de facto, prospective /  fiance or other visa type and have not been interviewed yet? will you be interviewed for the Australian spouse visa?

The case officers usually decide based on the nature of the application. This is a basic idea but anything can happen.

If the applicant and sponsor are both young (or at least both similar ages), and are clearly from similar backgrounds, have not been married before, have not applied for (or sponsored for) an Australian visa before, and have spent plenty of time together, in a normal and reasonable way before marrying (or applying), then there may not be a telephone interview.

If the applicant and sponsor (for EXAMPLE) are:

  • from different backgrounds of cultures
  • do not speak the same language
  • have been married before
  • are not similar ages
  • have applied for or sponsored for an Australian spouse visa before
  • have provided insufficient basic evidence
  • have provided inconsistent or confusing information
  • have made mistakes in their visa application

then they MAY be more likely to have a telephone interview with the case officer.

Australia visa

The case officer may want to know things such as:

– If your ages are very different, is the applicant genuine? Does (for EXAMPLE) a 21 year old Asian girl want to marry a 59 year old Australian man just to get an Australian spouse visa, or is it a genuine spousal relationship?

– If the applicant has previously applied for an Australian spouse visa, why did that fail? Why is this relationship genuine?

– If the applicant and sponsor do not speak the same language, how can they communicate?


The more specific questions of an interview for an Australian spouse visa may be questions such as:

– when and how did you meet each other?

– when did the ‘relationship’ start?

– have you met each other’s familt and friends? Who and when?

– when and where did you live together? What did you do when together?

– how do you communicate when apart?

– what plans do you have for your lives together in Australia?


Some case officers may even ask much more specific questions, such as:

– what side of the bed do you sleep on?

– what does he/she have for breakfast?

– where did he/she go to school?

– who is his/her best friend?

– what does he/she do at work?

and this kind of thing.

These are all and only basic examples of what may or may not be asked.

And even genuine married couples who have been together for years may have some discrepancies, because some things are seen differently by each person. So it may be worth just checking to make sure that you both think the same thing about basic issues!



Go to the GET ASSESSED buttons at the top or bottom of these pages and start your own personal visa assessment with a real person, now.


Australia suburb guide: Sydney




(25kms north west from Sydney CBD)

Carlingford is a large, multicultural, working-class suburb located in the geographical centre of Sydney.  Sydney has the most expensive property prices in Australia and Carlingford, considering its proximity to major centres like Castle Hill and Parramatta, isn’t as expensive as the majority of the city.  People can live in established houses with land, townhouses or apartments.   Public transport is a train line, bus network and it is very close to several major roads.  Carlingford is mostly working-class families and retirees of mixed nationalities.

Carlingford has one major shopping centre with plenty of parking and a broad range of shops.  Located next door is another shopping centre of predominately Asian grocery stores, shops and restaurants.  There are also many small retail stores in the streets.  There are plenty of park lands and green corridors for outdoor activities and Carlingford is very pet-friendly with many residents having at least one pet.

There are some excellent schools in the area, one of which is James Ruse Agricultural College, which is Australia’s highest ranked school, and very close to The King’s School, the country’s most prestigious boys’ school.

School Name






NAPLAN results

James Ruse Agricultural College




Substantially Above

The King’s School




Substantially Above

AIS International School




Not accessed

Carlingford High School




Above Average

Carlingford Public School




Substantially Above

Carlingford West Public School




Substantially Above

Cumberland High School




Below Average

Murray Farm Public School




Substantially Above

Roselea Public School




Substantially Above

St Gerard’s Catholic Primary School




Substantially Above

Overall, many people live in Carlingford because of the relatively affordable housing, the excellent schools, its geographical location and the multiculturalism.  


(20kms north west of Sydney CBD)

Wahroonga is one of Sydney’s most beautiful suburbs, known as the ‘garden suburb’.  Located in the North on the Pacific Highway, it contains large homes on big blocks with a notable price tag.  The properties are established with manicured gardens, well-maintained streets, low crime rate and many old trees.  It’s the place where moneyed families, retirees and executives live.  Public transport is good with a train station on a major line and a major highway with regular buses.  There is also one of Sydney’s best private hospitals located here.

There is a small, neat shopping district next to the train station that contains some boutique stores, hair dressers, supermarket and other small retail outlets.  It is also a short drive to Hornsby, which has a very large shopping centre.  Wahroonga has a beautiful park which is popular with locals and the tree-sheltered streets encourage walking.

The schools in the area are all excellent:

School Name






NAPLAN results

Wahroonga Public School




Substantially Above

Waitara Public School




Substantially Above





Substantially Above

Knox Grammar




Substantially Above

Prouille Catholic Primary School




Above Average

Wahroonga Adventist Primary School




Substantially Above

St Lucy’s/St Edmund’s School for the Blind




Not accessed

St Leo’s Catholic College




Above Average

If you can afford it, this is the suburb to live in.  It has a safe, village feel and is an excellent place to raise a family.


(7kms east of Sydney CBD)

Clovelly is a little coastal suburb in the trendy Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, located between the famous suburbs of Bondi and Coogee, with a culture that is laid-back and welcoming. The properties are small and closely packed, from fully-detached, semi-detached and some apartments.  Property prices are at the higher end but the rent makes the area more accessible.  Public transport is adequate and one bus will get you to the city.  The people who live in Clovelly are beach-types, families, couples and backpackers.  

Outdoor activities are excellent with plenty of coast to explore.  The small Clovelly beach has some gentle surf for swimming, good snorkelling and walking opportunities.  There are four small shopping areas with independently owned food outlets and boutique shops.  There are also lots of cafes and restaurants.

The schools in the area are:

School Name






NAPLAN results

St Anthony’s School




Above Average

Clovelly Public School




Above Average

This is the place to live if you like a laid-back beach culture of a coastal town.   

Summary of the subclass 190 state-sponsorship visa

Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190) visa


  • Permanent visa for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government.
  • Allows visa holder to live and work anywhere in Australia.
  • Allows certain family members to be added before the application is decided.


  • Nomination by a state/territory government.
  • Invitation to apply.
  • Meet points test pass mark.
  • Nominate a skilled occupation from the relevant skilled occupation list.
  • Hold a suitable skills assessment.
  • Under 50 years of age.
  • At least competent English. (but need at least an IELTS score of min 7 for each part to claim points – which is required)
  • Other standard requirements including health and character.

To be able to lodge a valid 190 visa application you need to first submit an expression of interest (EOI) for this visa and then receive an invitation to apply.

State and territory government agencies will have access to SkillSelect. ASA will coordinate the application with the state Goverment after we submit your EOI

*** If the state/territory government nominates you, you will automatically receive an invitation from SkillSelect to apply for a visa. ***

The Points Test requirement

The points test is a transparent and objective method of selecting skilled migrants with the skills and attributes needed in Australia. The Points Test awards points on the basis of a range of skills and attributes.

You have to meet the Points Test pass mark in order to be granted a visa. The pass mark is the total number of points you must score to pass the Points Test. The pass mark is subject to change and any changes to the pass mark are announced on the department’s website.

In order to submit a complete EOI you must meet the points test pass mark. Your complete EOI will then be ranked on the basis of your claims against points test factors. Invitations will be issued to those who achieve the highest rankings, subject to the operation of the occupational ceiling.

If you receive an invitation to apply and make an application, your application will then be assessed against the Points Test. Your points score against the Points Test must be equal to or greater than the number of points you claimed in your EOI.

What evidence do I need to support my claims?

When you submit your EOI you will not be asked to provide evidence to support your claims. However, if you are invited to apply, you will need to provide evidence to support all the claims that were in your EOI at the time you were invited.

If my circumstances change while waiting for an invitation, what do I do?

EOIs remain active in SkillSelect for two years. During the time from when you submit your EOI to when you receive an invitation or your EOI ceases, information about your attributes and skills may change. SkillSelect will automatically calculate any changes to your age up to the period you are invited. However, for other factors, such as if you upgrade you English proficiency, you will need to enter this new information into SkillSelect.

Age requirements

At time of invitation, you must be less than 50 years of age. This means that even if you are under 50 when you submit your EOI, it is your age at the time an invitation that is taken into account.

Skills assessment

To apply for this visa you must nominate an occupation that is on the SOL that is current at the date an invitation is issued. The SOL lists all eligible occupations for points tested skilled migration.

Regardless of which points tested skilled migration visa you apply for, you must provide evidence that your skills have been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation.

Each assessing authority has its own assessment procedures, timeframes and fees.

English language requirements

At time of invitation, you will be required to demonstrate that you have at least Competent English. Competent English is defined as an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of at least six in each of the four components of the IELTS test; or at least B in the Occupational English Test (OET) test; or being a citizen and passport holder of either the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland or the USA.

Location and eligible visa requirements

You can be in or outside Australia when you submit your EOI, when you lodge an application or when the visa is decided.

If you are intending to apply in Australia, there are no prerequisite visa requirements to lodge an application in Australia. You can apply if you are the holder of any valid visa except some bridging and other non substantive visas (Bridging visas D, E or F; Criminal justice visa; or an enforcement visa).

It is important to note, that an EOI is not a visa application and you will not be granted a Bridging visa. If you are in Australia when you submit an EOI, and you do not hold a valid visa or are unable to apply for one, then you must depart Australia.

Invitation to apply

You can only apply for this visa if you have received an invitation from SkillSelect to apply for the visa.

If you receive an invitation, you will then have 60 days to make a valid visa application, before the invitation expires.

Note:If you do not make a valid visa application after receiving two invitations, your expression of interest (EOI) will be removed from SkillSelect


All such details of any subclass of visa, details of the subclass 189 vs subclass 190, which visa is better, as well as living in another state on a subclass 190 visa can change at any time.

For the most up to date and live, personal information on any Australian visa subclass, simply go to the GET ASSESSED options at the top or bottom of the pages now.


Health and medical requirements for Australian visas

There are no set rules, only guidelines and history when it comes to the assessment of health conditions and medical exam requirements for an Australian visa.


Applicants for most types of visas for Australia are required to meet health requirements, amongst other prescribed criteria, before a visa can be granted. All applicants for permanent migration visas, and long stay temporary / provisional visas are required to undergo a full medical examination and chest x-ray with a “panel doctor” (see below) before a visa can be granted. Some applicants for temporary stay visas may also be required to undergo one or both examinations, or provide a “fitness to travel” letter from a doctor before a visa can be granted.

Please note that no one can guarantee that your application will meet the medical criteria, and that no assessment of medical conditions can be done prior to an actual visa application being lodged.

You can consider case law, and purely guess if any medical condition is likely to lead to a refusal on medical grounds – but, in many cases, an accurate assessment of serious medical matters can not be made unless it clearly falls within the serious conditions listed below with significant associated medical costs

All children / dependents included in your application aged 11 + must undertake full medicals and X-ray examination. NOTE also that ALL children under age 18, whether they are applying or included in the applicant or not, MUST do a medical and pass a medical – this INCLUDES children from a previous marriage not included in your application.

All the persons included in your application as well as all of your dependents (even if they are not included in your application) MUST undertake a medical exam, and must “pass” the medical. If one fails, all fail – and the visa will be refused.


Which medical conditions are cause for concern ?

Some brief notes on health assessments. All people who come to Australia are assessed as to their healthiness. For people applying for permanent visas this is a critical part of their overall assessment. If they fail their health checks they will most likely not obtain a visa to Australia.

People who have medical problems that may harm the health of the Australian public would find it difficult to meet the health criteria as would those who cause Prejudice of Access (transplantation, dialysis, blood products, radiotherapy, high level nursing home care, etc). However most health problems relate not to contagious diseases but the cost of caring for those problems.

If the cost of the health care is ‘significant’ then a refusal of a visa application normally follows.

As a general guide an assessment is made of the likely health costs over 3-5 years. If these costs are greater than $20,000 they are considered ‘significant’. In calculating these costs factors taken into account include use of Health and Community services, Costs of Support Services (carer payments, disability support pensions, residential care, respite care and home help, disability equipment, supported education, palliative care).

Some medical conditions of importance (which may lead to a refusal on medical grounds)

HIV – costs of specialist care, antiviral medication and hospital/hospice care, loss of work capacity

Chronic Active Hepatitis (B or C) – costs of specialist care, interferon and antiviral medication, liver failure. Loss of function, work capacity.

Heart Disorders – eg ischaemic heart disease, coronary artery disease, valvular disease, heart failure, arrhythmias. Costs of specialist care, bypass surgery, valve replacement, implantable defibrillator, heart transplantation. Loss of function, work capacity, independence.

Blood Disorder – eg haemophilia, thalassemia major, leukaemia. Costs of specialists care, blood products, bone marrow transplantation, palliative care (if required).

Endocrine Disorders – diabetes. Costs of specialist care, potential for kidney failure and need for dialysis, other complications, loss of function & work capacity.

Growth hormone deficiency. High costs of growth hormone therapy.

Deafness – costs of cochlear implant (depending on age), speech therapy, deaf service teacher & interpreters, loss of work capcity.

Blindness – costs of income support, Braille equipment, guide dog, loss of work capacity.

Nerve and Brain disorders – cerebrovascular disease, stroke, multiple sclerosis, dementia, paralyses. Costs of treatment, rehabilitation, residential care, loss of independence.

Orthopaedic and connective tissue disorders (eg arthritis). Cost of joint replacements, loss of work capacity, loss of independence, residential care.

Psychiatric Disorders – eg schizophrenia, major depression, drug and alcohol dependence. Costs of specialist care, hospital inpatient costs, residential care, rehabilitation, and detoxification programs.

Chest Disorders (excluding TB) – eg chronic obstructive disease, cystic fibrosis, respiratory failure. Costs of specialist care, recurrent hospital admissions, specialized medications, lung transplantation, home oxygen. TB will lead to a refusal on medical grounds immediately.

Cancers – cost of treatment (initial and for any recurrence) and surveillance. If in remission, can be cleared ?

There is a health waiver available for a number of visa classes where the costs can be more than significant, mostly this occurs in close family cases like Partners, fiancés etc. In such situations the costs can be up to around $200,000 and still meet the health criteria, although all are treated on a case by case basis.

There are no easy decisions but instead case history can be referred to for the sake of perspective.

For your Australia visa assessment, just go to ‘register’ and ‘Get Assessed’ at the top or bottom of the pages.

Rental accommodation for new migrants arriving in Australia

Finding somewhere to live in Australia is a very simple, but very important aspect!

There are a few different ways that you can manage the process of securing somewhere to live and you and your family. Some of these are:

Go to Australia on holiday during the visa process

The Australia visa processing times can be 6 to 12 months on average. That means that you can still take this time to travel to Australia on a visitor visa – as long as you are sure that it is safe to do so and has been mentioned to the visa agent or the DIAC case officer.

Travel to Australia once after visa grant, to both activate the visas and to look around

The visa will have an entry expiry date – a date by which you must just make one first entry to Australia. This can be for one day or forever – as long as you step past entry clearance then the visa is activated. The main applicant must enter before – or at the same time as – the other applicants from the visa application. So you could choose to use this time to scout around before returning to your original country to wrap things up before final departure.

You could also have the main applicant take a trip by themself to scout around, while the other applicants then come to join later – as long as they also enter still before that date on their visas!

Book a short term rental accommodation in Australia before you all go at once together.

Stay in the short term rental and then look around for a normal long term rental.

Renting in Australia is easy, and remember that you are not the first pioneer – literally hundreds of thousands of new migrants arrive in Australia every year!

So finding new rentals as a ‘new arrival’ is not a problem.

How to research rental accommodation in Aus?

Easy – Real Estate is the easiest and best website to check

If you want a Map based on Australian postcodes, then just use What Postcode


For more help and information, just register into your personal Client Area in the ‘Get Assessed’ section at the top or bottom of the page.




Manager assessment for Australian Skilled Visa

The assessment of Manager occupations for Australian skilled visas is done by AIM, the Australian Institute of Managers.

The reality in a visa application and a migration assessment with AIM is that the applicant should be in a position which is more modernly called a Director.

This is because the main criteria of the AIM assessment is:

– Position

The applicant should manage managers below him/her, who in turn manage staff below them.

Simply ‘managing staff’ may be seen as insufficient – the person should be managing at least several people who are managers of different departments.

– Level to a Board, owner or executive level

The applicant should be reporting to (or under the level of) a higher board of owners, CEO type levels of such. Being under further Directoes and Managers above may not been seen as relevant.

Of course, some global companies have so many levels and various area sections and such, that it is impossible to make a clear rule for this.

For specific assessment on your situation, all you need to do is register into the ‘Get Assessed’ section at the top or bottom of the page, and you can speak personally to an assigned consultant who will assess your situation.

– Years in the job and qualifications

The reality is that AIM would like to see a minimum of 3 years in such a role. Qualifications ‘may’ be taken into account, but they will not be, if the applicant simply does not meet the criteria.

The application can be evidenced through personal statemtns and basic work evidence, such as contracts and organisational charts.

Some individuals become sensitive about ‘showing the company information’ to a 3rd part, but everyone who does a skilled visa application will need to show work-based evidence. Firatly, it is nothing new or special, but more importantly, there has never been a case of this being an issue. The assessing authorities simply need to see the evidence in order to do what they want to do: make an assessment. The World is not going to try to sneak out and obsess over the basic working details of one person or company, so this should just be gotten on with.

What if you cannot meet the criteria for an AIM assessment?

IF you are not seen as someone managing sufficient managers below you, then there may still be options for a VETASSESS assessment if you have a bachelors degree.

Occupations such as Management Consultant, Organisation & Methods Analyst, Information & Organisation professional – these can serve as relevant occupations for which professional business people can show relevant tasks and work.

As always!

For an assessment on your specific situation, – all – you – have – to – do: is go to GET ASSESSED at the top or bottom.

Register and in your own Client Area, an assigned consultant will speak with you about your specific case.


New Zealand Partner visa for Australia

How can a husband or wife of a New Zealand NZ citizen get an Australian visa?

I am an NZ citizen, how can my husband or wife come to live and work in Australia?

There are two main ways within a partner stream.

If someone is an eligible NZ citizen, they can go in the main spouse / partner visa stream. What is an eligible NZ citizen? How is someone an eligible New Zealand citizen?

This means that they must have been in Australia before a stated date – usually given as around the year 2001 – and therefore have their eligible NZ citizen visa status.

If not, then an NZ citizen may still sponsor their husband or wife on a subclass 461 NZ partner visa.

This is a 5 year visa, giving rights in Australia. It means that they should be either married, or de-facto: have lived together for 12 months before applying. There is no prospective NZ spouse provision.

For details on the evidence and documentation required for a subclass 461 visa, as well as checklists, guides, forms and instructions, simply go to ‘Get Assessed’ at the top or bottom of the page.



What is the difference between public and private schools in Australia?

Are public or private schools better? Are private schools in Australia worth it?

It is important to highlight that each family should judge all schools upon their merits and the fit for your circumstances and child’s needs, as your local public school may be just as ideal for your child as the top private school in the country.  Make your decision from your own educational experiences, work commitments, school hours, proximity, student support services, religious beliefs, costs and other contingencies.  Additionally, schools with supportive, active parents tend to have better reputations than those that do not.

The Australian primary and secondary school system has primarily two options: private (higher-fee paying) or public (State funded).  For families, the choice to study under either arrangement is one of cost and opportunity.

Schools in Australia generally fit under the following categories:

  • Public                 State funded

  • Catholic and Independent         Mostly privately funded and run like a business

    Public/State Schools

    Private/Independent/Catholic Schools


    Public school education is free to residents of Australia for those wishing to complete the minimum requirements.

    Schools will request a volunteer annual contribution from parents, the amount which is set by the principal in consultation with the school community and budget requirements. This payment isn’t compulsory but it greatly assists the school with its resources.

    In addition, parents are usually required to pay for textbooks, uniforms, disposable equipment, excursions, missing library books, meals and other extra-curricular activities.

    Many families are eligible for education assistance from The Dept of Human Services and should check with the Department for full information.

    Secondary schools will publicise their set fees per subject at the beginning of the semester but this varies according to each school and subject.

    Important note: NSW, temporary residents are charged unsubsidised fees.

    Private institutions request the payment of fees to attend.  The government does provide a portion of funding to each school in addition to the tuition costs of each family.

    Each school sets its own fees and can vary from $2500 per year to more than $20,000.  You will need to contact each school for a schedule of fees.

    Additional costs will include uniforms, excursions, extra-curricular activities, meals, textbooks, subject extras (such as technical) and library fines.

    Non-payment of fees will result in the student being excluded from the school


    The quality of teachers is similar between both systems.  Each system has its own way of motivating the teachers and regardless of the school, some teachers will better relate to the children than others.

    Teachers from both public and private systems are paid comparable rates and are sourced from the same universities, so it comes down to the individual.

    It’s recommended to meet with the teachers of the school you’re interested in prior to enrolling.

    Please see point to the left.


    Public schools have fewer resources than private.  Being dependent on government expenditure and funding guidelines means there is a limit to what each school can spend.

    Public schools still meet the needs of the students with working facilities, playgrounds, equipment and technology and have to meet educational criteria and occupational health and safety principles.  However, these are updated less frequently and are often older technology.

    Strong economic management can also contribute to a public school having excellent resources as some institutions are better placed to utilise the finances and institutions given.

    What makes private education attractive to many families is the quality of teaching resources.  Having higher incoming funding, the schools usually have more updated classrooms, facilities, equipment, technology and educational devices (such as laboratory apparatus).

    Schools may also offer a wider variety of excursions, sports, extra-curricular activities, events and educational opportunities (such as external competitions).

    A family with child/children enrolled in a private school should be aware that annual fees are often base rates and additional costs throughout the year will apply.


    Will only accept children from a designated catchment area.  Some families will move into an area to get access to a certain school.

    Not zoned.


    Currently, public school curriculum is issued by each state and can vary.  However, upon the rollout of the national curriculum in 2013-2015, the main four subjects of maths, science, English and history will have standardised content, meaning both public and private schools will teach from the same structure.

    Private schools have worked within educational guidelines for curriculum but have largely been independent of regulations.  Private schools will have to adhere to the National Curriculum when its released, meaning public and private schools will be teaching from the same structure.

    Special Needs

    Public schools are the better system to utilise if your child requires special education.  The government provides extra funding to the school for aides and extra resources if certain criteria are met.  Also, a public school is more likely to have a dedicated class for students who require extra attention.  You will have to enquire at all the schools in your catchment to determine which has the resources to suit your child’s requirements.

    Private schools do have some support services for students with special needs but each institution is varied from strong support systems to an inability to cater for special needs students at all.  It’s advisable to contact the individual school you’re interested in.


    In 2011, there were approximately 6700 government run schools in Australia and approximately 1800 non-government institutions.  The majority of students in Australia attend State schools.

    Numbers are rising of the children attending independently-run schools, a trend which has continued consistently since 2001.  This sector accounts for around one-third of all students.

    Class sizes

    The ratio for students to teachers in both systems is very similar (around 15:1).  Each school has class sizes according to school size and teacher numbers and needs to be assessed individually.

    Please see points to the left.

    Selective Schools

    There are some selective high schools in the public system, the majority in Sydney.  Students are tested for entry.

    Some private schools do informal testing upon entry but their selectivity is more about high fees.

    There has been much debate over which system is the best for educating children.  The general consensus is that independent/Catholic education provides a better rounded education because of higher-quality facilities and education resources.  Whether public or private, each school can be excellent or struggling according to innumerable variables such as staff management, internal culture, teacher support, anti-bullying policies, financial administration, family involvement, location and socio-economic influences.  Each family should analyse all schools available to them on what the child needs, rather than focus on system generalisations.

    To learn more:

Go to ‘Get Assessed’ at the top or bottom and in your own Client Area, receive personalised information from your assigned consultant.


Australia spouse visa processing times

Australian spouse and partner visa processing times do differ from country to country.

In an Australian partner, spouse, prospective spouse, de-facto visa application, the Australian citizen or Permanent Resident is the sponsor.

The person applying to come and live with them in Australia, with their new Australian visa.

Where do I lodge an Australian spouse visa? How can I apply and lodge the spouse visa application?

The country that the application will be lodged in is whichever country the applicant is in.

What if there is not an Australian embassy or visa office in the country? Then it will be a normal system that a near, nominated other country will have the Australian visa office or embassy that will take the applications.

Why are processing times different for different nationalities? Is this discrimination?

No it is not – this is based on the number of times that people of that nationality have over-stayed in Australia or broke visa rules and/or lodged fake or fraudulent applications.

It may also be about the time that the case officer needs to undergo the full checks of an application.

If the Australian sponsor is much older than the application, comes from a different culture, may not speak the same language and other issues, the DIAC case officer may feel as though they need to undergo further interviews or request further evidence, in order to ensure that the application is genuine, and that the applicant is not just after an Australian visa.

These are DIAC’s rules, not ours!

This is just the way that the system has been codified or regulated, so that legal decisions can be made related to something quite indefinable at times: a spousal relationship.


To find out the details for your spouse visa application and have a personal migration assessment report sent to you, simply go to ‘Get Assessed’ at the top or bottom of of the page.

Then you can receive all of the details about your situation and learn more.